it beats the hell out of doing laundry

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I'm going back to Cali, Cali, Cali

I'm going back to Cali....hmmm, I don't think so.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD, LL COOL J.

So, we are, indeed, going back to Cali(fornia) bright and early tomorrow morning. It will be Nate's first trip to the left coast and [sound the trumpets] his first 5+ hour flight! Whee! Yes, we booked a non-stop flight, because what sane parent wants to have to lug all the shit that comes with dragging your kids on an airplane around three fucking airports in one day?? Not I, friends. It will be a radical experiment, but we are hopeful. I do believe this is only Nate's second encounter with the friendly skies, which makes me a little anxious, but I'm sure he'll be fine. We've got the laptop powered up with Dora and Diego and Bob the Builder and Thomas the TankEngine, which means he'll probably be in a video-induced coma by the time we land in San Diego. Heh. As long as there are no shrieking/whining/hitting-filled tantrums on the plane, I am fine with that. For the first time, I am not worried about Jack at all, which is such a relief. He's at the age where he can occupy himself for LONG stretches of time, and looks forward to plane rides. [in my best Napoleon Dynamite voice] Yessss.

When it comes right down to it, this trip is mostly about Jack. Dave has a meeting in San Diego, which also happens to be where the sister-in-law lives, and we've been meaning to get the boys out there to visit, so thought this was a good opportunity. Most importantly, though, is the close proximity to the evil empire, Disneyland! Dudes, I have been practically counting the days until Jack was old enough to appreciate Disney! The time has finally come. Yes, I am a geek. I love Disney. I've never done Disneyland, but I've been to Disney World several times, and all in my adult life. I think I'm making up for the shitty childhood trips I had to take to places like Paris and Venice and Switzerland. Fuck the Alps, mom, show me some Space Mountain! Heh. So this will be the first time I get to experience Mickey Mouse-land through the eyes of a child. I am beyond excited. I think 5 is a perfect age because he can process what the hell is going on, you know? Plus, he can talk about it. Coherently. That has been the greatest thing lately, to be able to talk with Jack about stuff. Like, really have a conversation. Little dude's pretty smart. Anyway, I am looking forward to sharing his enthusiasm and excitement in a more equal way, you know? It will be awesome.

I think Natey will have fun, but he is a little more sensitive than Jack when it comes to things like sleep. He has never been able to sleep with others -- near him, with him, whatever. God knows I've tried, but he will have none of it (much to Dave's delight). So we're a little nervous about the hotel situation when we're at Disney. I think if we make sure it's completely pitch black and lay perfectly still and makes absolutely NO sounds, we'll be okay. Heh, sounds like a fab vacation, huh? Shit, we should've just gotten him his own room! Oh well, kid's gotta learn sometime.

So today is get shit ready to go day! I will attempt to post pictures of glorious Cinderella's Castle and Jack fleeing life-sized Mickeys and Goofys trying to hug him and shit. Heh. Have a good week, blog peeps! Oh hey, anyone want Mickey ears? Anyone??

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LL Cool J runs through my mind all night long ;) Yummmy. Not so yummy music but who is thinking about his music when you look at him. I clearly haven't gotten over my 8th grade LL crush.

Have a great time soaking up that Californ-i-a sun.

10:01 AM

 
Blogger mighty said...

yeah dawg, bring on the ears.....

then I can be Mighty! Mouse!

HA!!

HAve fun!!

10:58 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

sounds so fricking cool. (and HEY, my son is called Jack too;-)) i also yen for disney for pretty much the same reasons.

plane trip and laptop. i just did an 8 hr stint with my boy. remember, laptop batteries last 2 hours MAX. and much less if eaten up by graphics. find out if your plane seats have outlets (lots do--then you're set). invest in back up battery, or do what i did and break down day before trip and buy a portable dvd player (and back up battery). it was looking in fear at 8 hrs with a 3 yr old that did it. he was stellar...

those portable dvd things. a few road trips and hotel rooms later, and they totally pay for themselves.

3:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home